A basic website typically consists of five web pages – home, about us, contact, news and either a products or services page. The range of a basic website can vary considerably between website design and development companies based on what is included. For a five page website you can expect to pay anywhere from $500 to $5000 – yes, that is a very big range! As you will see from the information below, there are a lot of different options when it comes to basic website cost and website inclusions!
What does a basic website include?
As mentioned above, a typical basic website includes five pages. When comparing different developers, the costs and quotes you receive, we recommend that you carefully review the following:
- Website design – will it be an “off the shelf” or template website design with just your images and text dropped in, or will the website be designed specifically for your business and its needs?
- Website images – are any website images included, or do you need to source / buy your own?
- Website features – some developers charge extra for social links, contact forms, and other features that may be included within our packages. Make sure you are comparing apples with apples and oranges with oranges!
- Hosting & domain name – are these included or do you have to pay extra?
- Contracts – are you locked in with the developer or can you move your site to a different hosting provider? Several of the “cheaper” website developers create websites on what are known as proprietory content management systems which means they are not transferrable to a different host.
- Content Management System – can you maintain, edit and manage the website on your own or do you need to enlist the developer to do the work for you?
- Subscriptions – several online website builders offer easy-to-use site design using wizards, etc, but you need to maintain a website subscription to keep your website active. This means that effectively they still “own” the site and you are simply renting your website. WordPress lets you own, manage and edit your website – you are free to move whenever you choose.
- Training – do you get any training on your website so that you can manage the website content yourself?
The basic website cost needs to take into consideration your business, your customers and the time you have to maintain your website. These are just a few things to look out for. Remember, don’t get sold something beyond what you need and what you are able to maintain. A good website is one that is regularly updated, be sure to have a website that is great for customers but also easy for you to keep fresh!
Check out our article on What’s included in your website price?